ESCAPE-pain training package launched
ESCAPE-pain is a rehabilitation programme for people with chronic joint pain. It is suitable for patients with hip or knee pain and integrates self-management education and coping strategies with exercise individualised for each participant over six weeks (12 sessions).
Traditionally, ESCAPE-pain has been delivered by physiotherapists in outpatient physiotherapy departments within NHS settings. More recently, ESCAPE-pain has been successfully delivered in leisure centres and local community settings, improving patient access.
To support the spread of ESCAPE-pain and assuring the implementation of best-practice, the MSK team have launched two training packages – a one-day course for clinicians and a two-day course for fitness instructors.
The clinicians’ training course covers:
- Overview of osteoarthritis management, including NICE guidelines
- The fundamentals of ESCAPE-pain, including clinical and economic evidence
- Supporting behaviour change, motivational interviewing and group facilitation
- Setting up and delivering ESCAPE-pain
- Adapting and developing ESCAPE-pain to work within different settings.
The fitness instructors’ training course covers:
- Overview of MSK, physical activity and osteoarthritis
- National Policy and overview of ESCAPE-pain, including ESCAPE-pain in the community
- Understanding the psychology of pain
- Principles of self-management, motivational interviewing, health behaviour change and group facilitation
- Group exercise management
- Healthy eating guidance
- Methods of managing pain
- Sustaining physical activity and other health behaviours.
Feedback from the first cohort of clinicians and fitness instructors has been overwhelmingly positive. Below are some quotes from participants:
“Great programme that isn’t too prescriptive and utilised physiotherapist’s skills”
“Brilliant and excited to be involved”
“Easy to follow, relaxed and very informative atmosphere”
“Very good, excellent knowledge to pass onto current client base”
Upon completing a training course, participants receive full access to course materials and other ESCAPE-pain implementation resources.
We will be running regular training courses in London. If you’re interested in attending a training course or would like more information about setting up ESCAPE-pain, email email@example.com.